The Doll House - A Poem

Monday, November 14, 2011

Diary of a Mad Miniaturist: 21 October 2000

Up until now, I've told you about how the current Mulberry Cottage got it's start in 2000.  Now I'm going to share with you my journal entries over the years since concerning the dolls house!  Hope you enjoy them as much as I did, getting to re-read them!


21 October 2000:  Here are the rooms and their lay-out inside the cabinet:


Yes, I have given it a lot of thought.  It's almost an obsession with me lately.  Even led to me having this journal, as well as a detailed "workbook" of ideas, plans, etc. 


There are times when I think I'll go crazy, trying to sort it all out in my head.  But those are few and far between.  The best moments are when I think of all the possibilities, all the fun I'll have, all the "oohs and aahs" I'll have! For it is my plan to have a show piece, if you will, albeit a loved and cared for show piece.


Perhaps this week I'll be carrying it upstairs to my "currently evolving" studio.  Then I think I'll start to work on that staircase!


P.S.  Yes, this is my mid-life crisis Nigel.  But you have to admit - there are far worse things I could be doing!


P.S. P.S.  As for the jewelry cabinet - I've already sanded off the old finish.  It's about 18" tall, with 2 doors opening in the center.  It also has a bottom drawer.  I think it might make a lovely shop or two - perhaps an English bakery and a flower shop.  A tea room?!?  You can see the possibilities are endless! 


Jan Fursdon, Madison, Alabama


 21 October 2000:  I think my first project - now I have the cabinet house upstairs - will be the stairs.  I'm painting them,  perhaps with a design on each tread?  Then stain the wood over it.  I just hope I can follow the instructions when putting the banister and rails up.  Before I do anything though, I need to take photographs.  And buy some decent colored paint.


View of completed staircase.  The right side (without the railing) goes up against the wall in the Foyer.


I haven't decided if I'm happy with the high gloss white on the exterior of the cabinet.  I may distress it, but then again......the difficulty is trying to picture how the cabinet will look with hardwood floors and other furniture that will eventually be in the rooms - also painted.


I think the best thing to do at this point is to step back and wait . . . . . not easy for me as you well know!


I do like the interior I've painted - a pale tan (masking tape color).


Till the next post....
May God Bless, Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment