The Doll House - A Poem

Monday, November 14, 2011

Diary of a Mad Miniaturist: 22 October 2000

22 October 2000:  I found a white picket fence and an arbor to walk under!  They'll be stunning in the rooftop garden, with greenery and perhaps roses entertwined!
24 October 2000:  A new development! A stitched quilt-pattern rug for the dining room! It's a piece of 12 quilt block patterns I cross stitched years ago - in 1993 to be exact.  When completed though, I never cared for the piece.  Now it will serve the dining room well.  All I have to do is stitch along the edge of the design, then fray the edges to resemble a rug.
Completed "rug".  It looks great, even if I do say so myself!


26 October 2000:  My glass faceted door knobs have come in and - after some fiddling with them on my part - they are now in place.  A trifle large, but pretty nonetheless!  I've also decided (at least I think I've decided) to distress the overall outside finish.


Last evening, we went to the Public Library where not only did I find several books on the subject of doll houses, I actually saw a real doll house on display!  If truth be told, I believe I've seen it before, but having no particular interest in the subject at the time, I failed to truly appreciate it then. 


I've also been given the telephone number of a lady here in Huntsville who apparently is "chairperson" of a local miniaturist club!  I haven't called her yet.  Perhaps when we return from our trip to Gulf Shores (Nigel and I).


Today, I found what appears to be a good Internet address for doll accessories.  The items on view were extraordinary!! Garden furniture, food, kitchenware, etc.  Perhaps if there is a local club, they'll know where best to shop!


And while in Gulf Shores, I hope (at a minimum) to collect baby shells for projects later on.  Maybe a shell encrusted mirror frame, or covered box or chest?  Or just some shells to display!


I almost forgot!!  I've painted and assembled the staircase!  Green, burgundy, camel and walnut - with a flower design painted on the risers.  I must say - it looks rather grand.  And I plan not to attach it permanently so I can rearrange it whenever I wish.
I'm enjoying myself quite a lot as you can see.  At least it keeps my mind occupied most of the time.  There are some days however when I shouldn't spend so much time on it (when Nigel is actually home!)  But it's very hard to break the habit once started.  I suppose there are far worse things I could be doing!


Until next post.....May God Bless,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment